PR & Communications Director
REMOTE (DC OR NYC PREFERRED) FULL TIME
About She Should Run
She Should Run is a nonpartisan nonprofit working to dramatically increase the number of women considering a run for public office. We believe that women from all political leanings, ethnicities, sexual identities, and backgrounds should have an equal opportunity to lead in elected office. We are driven by a vision of seeing 250,000 women run for office by 2030. #250kby2030
The Challenge: Women are less likely to run for public office and therefore are seriously underrepresented. According to the World Economic Forum, “Gender parity has a fundamental bearing on whether or not economies and societies thrive.”
Our Solution: We motivate women from all walks of life to explore the possibility of public office by identifying and tackling the barriers to elected leadership, and building a robust virtual Community as an approachable starting place for women to learn and grow with each other.
About the Role
She Should Run is seeking an experienced, politically-informed, results-driven PR & Communications Director who will bring a professional maturity and diversity of thought and perspective to our existing team. As Director, you will lead our external and internal communications strategies. You’ll be responsible for expertly amplifying the stories of the women in our Community, maximizing the organization’s reach, and reinforcing She Should Run as a trusted voice on women’s political leadership. You will work alongside our Outreach team including our Marketing & Tech Director and Digital Communications Manager, and lead cross-functional collaboration with Programs and Development. You’ll also create written content that resonates with our donors, corporate partners, community leaders, program participants, and other key stakeholders and will instinctively act on real-time opportunities to promote She Should Run’s mission and impact.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strengthen She Should Run organizational messaging, aligning across all channels, and develop engaging narratives amplifying the organization’s social impact
- Increase awareness and understanding of She Should Run’s programs and position in the political landscape
- Identify opportunities to uplift the stories of the women in the She Should Run Community
- Develop, implement, and manage the rollout of communications plans and strategies
- Collaborate with Programs to ensure strong message alignment across Community resources including speaker content and program/event materials
- Collaborate with Outreach team to develop publications and presentations that are consistently brand appropriate with core messaging and impact storytelling
- Write op eds, press releases, and other thought-leadership pieces; review and approve partner press releases
- Work closely with leadership to manage internal messaging needs
- Develop press ideas, pitch materials, and pitch relevant reporters; manage She Should Run’s press list and press contacts
- Cultivate and manage working relationships with media and influencers across channels (print, broadcast and digital/social)
- Listen to media reports and read news articles relevant to the work of the organization in order to identify opportunities to enhance reach
- Assess incoming, identify new, and coordinate speaking engagements, interview, and other media requests; prepare talking points and other supporting content.
- Attend press and networking events when appropriate
Requirements and Qualifications
- Passion and commitment to She Should Run’s mission and goals
- Bachelor’s degree (communications, public relations, journalism or related field preferred)
- 7 – 10 years prior relevant professional experience, including experience managing a team and external vendors; nonprofit experience a plus
- Demonstrated experience developing, managing, and executing on strategic communications plans and national awareness campaigns
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with a knack for storytelling and appropriately representing tone and message for varied audiences
- Ability to manage a media relations program
- Experience creating messaging and materials for donors communications a plus
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Ability to work independently, thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, and utilize professional judgement while working with external partners, team members, and other key stakeholders
- Experience with metrics tracking and tools (e.g. Sprout, Google Analytics)
- Experience working with remote teams
Benefits Competitive compensation package including 100% medical benefit premiums paid by She Should Run, company-matched retirement plan, technology stipend, four weeks paid vacation plus sick and personal time and flexible work arrangement.
To Apply Email your resume/CV and cover letter to [email protected]. Be sure to let us know in your cover letter why you want to support She Should Run’s mission in this role, and point to any example of prior communications work.
Include the job title in your email subject line. Applicant submissions are due by 12/11/2020.
She Should Run is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining an inclusive, diverse group of team members. We promote a policy of equal treatment and opportunity, and prohibit discrimination in any aspect of our hiring and promotion process in regard to disability, race, age, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, or any other basis protected by law.